How to Create a Website (Coding Free)?
It became so easy to create any website without involving coding skills these days. All you need is the right tools in your hands to get started. Then, you can say goodbye to those expensive agencies. I will show you through this free ultimate guide how to build a website from scratch in few minutes.
Last updated: 14th July 2021
A website represents your brand, the service, and the products you offer. So you want to get it right the first time.
People still believe that creating a website is too complicated. In reality, it isn’t. But, it can take time to build based on the size and the type. For example, you can set up a simple blog page in one or two hours, while an eCommerce website could take you months because of its size.
But, this should not be your obstacle. At first, things might go a little slow. As you get along with your tools, it will be like child’s play. Best of all, you do not need to be tech-savvy or a web developer. Everything in this guide will get you on your feet fast.
To begin, you need a good internet connection. Then follow these four simple steps from this guide.
The first step to having your website online is to get a domain name and a web host. Without one or another, you will not be able to set up your website.
- A domain name is the address of the website that we type in the search bar to visit a website, something like this: www.YourSite.com. For MIFYS, it is www.myinfinitysource.com (also called a URL, a technical word of a domain name).
- A web host is to publish a website online. The web host stores all the pages and data of the website on a computer called a web server.
Important: There are two things for you to know before registering with any service providers:
- Do you want to save money in the long term? Then it’s best to separate the domain registration from your web hosting account. Domain registrars let you lock the best price on a long-term basis. So you can forget the renewal fee.
- Are you low on budget but need to get started? The best way forward is to register both web hosting and a domain name under one account. I mean from one service provider. Most Web hosting provider offers 1-year free domain registration. But, you should pay close attention to the domain renewal fee. It can be ridiculously high.
For example, Bluehost offers web hosting and one-year free domain name registration.
If Bluehost is not within your budget, then you can pick one of the following recommended web host providers:
Those who want to save money in the long term can choose one of the top domain registrars below:
Top 3 Domain Registrar to consider for your Website:
Consider your brand for your domain name.
Consider using the company brand for your domain name. That’s because a domain name represents the organization, service, and product it offers. So, it is vital to put some good thoughts to get it right the first time.
When searching for a name, find something short and easy to remember. Don’t rush this exercise. Instead, take your time to find a catchy name that is relevant to your website.
CMS stands for Content Management System. This application is to manage web content, create, edit, and publish web pages.
Once you have a web hosting and domain name, the next step is to install a user-friendly CMS tool.
There are dozens of CMS platforms, and some of the most popular ones are listed below:
From the above list, I recommend WordPress.
What should you know about WordPress?
WordPress is an open-source leading CMS platform. It’s simple, intuitive, and easy to navigate through its dashboard. Most of its functionality is straightforward so that you can get along very quickly.
It can also be a collaborative tool where multiple users connect simultaneously from anywhere. Besides, you don’t need any programming language to create and manage your web content. That’s why most web hosting providers come with WordPress already pre-installed.
Set up WordPress with one click.
Bluehost has made it easy to set up WordPress with one click of a button. All you need to do is to follow these few simple steps:
- First, log in to your Bluehost account using your credentials. From there, you can hit on the My Sites tab then click on Create site.
- In the next window, enter your Site Name and Site Tagline. The Site Name refers to the title that appears across the top of every web page. Whereas the Site Tagline is a short sentence that comes underneath the site title. For now, you can skip this section.
- Select your domain name from the drop-down list on the next page. It’s best to install only the required plugin for your website. Therefore, you can skip the recommended plugins.
Once your installation is complete, Bluehost will send the installation summary to your email. However, for extra precaution, take a copy of these details.
Now that you have WordPress installed in your Bluehost account, we will need to install some required plugins.
Steps to install any supported plugin in WordPress
A plugin is a software add-on that is installed on a WordPress site to enhance its capabilities or extend its functionality. This software makes it easier to add features to your website without any coding.
There are thousands of free WordPress plugins available from their official plugin directory. The free ones don’t usually offer direct technical support, so be careful before installing any free plugin.
Some of the criteria for you to pay attention to are:
- When was the plugin last updated.
- Check if it’s compatible with your WordPress version.
- Last but not least, check the rating & reviews from “More Details” option of the plugin.
Installing a plugin on WordPress is similar to installing an app on your smartphone. It can be done in few clicks.
Here’re the steps to follow:
- On your WordPress dashboard, find Plugins option located on the left side of your screen.
- Click on Add New from the list of three options under Plugins.
- On the right next to Keyword, type in “Contact Form 7” and find the plugin Contact Form 7 from the list below.
- Click on Install Now. This process will take a few seconds to complete. Once done, click on Activate.
- Yoast SEO – Yoast SEO is a simple and very intuitive plugin that helps you improve your website’s SEO. So, you don’t need to hire an SEO expert which can cost you a fortune. I highly recommend getting this plugin for your website. Its basic plan is free. You can upgrade to its premium plan if needed later.
- UpdraftPlus – This free plugin is best to backup your website. Always back up your website for extra protection against any sort of unexpected disaster. It allows you to restore your website quickly in case of any incident. I highly recommend getting this plugin, it’s free.
What is a WordPress Theme?
A WordPress Theme changes the overall look of your website. From the color scheme to its layout and the style. It customizes the whole appearance of your website to look professional.
So, WordPress offers thousands of Themes with a wide selection of different designs. But, most of those Themes are customizable to create a web design that fits best for your needs. Some of the customizations might require coding, and some may not need any technical skills to be customized.
However, no matter what you choose, it’s vital to pick the correct Theme the first time right. Because changing the Theme later may impact your ranking negatively.
Ultra Theme is the best WordPress Drag & Drop Theme for beginners looking to create a responsive website. That is because Ultra Theme is simple, very intuitive, and coding-free. You have full control of your web design from header to footer.
Here’re the steps to get Ultra Theme:
- Visit Themify
- From there, go to the Themes menu and select All Themes.
- Select on More Info under Ultra
- Under Buy Now drop-down, select one of your preferred package plans. (Below are the plans available)
- 1 Theme – Pick one from a long list of options
- One year support including free updates
- Built-in Builder with Themify
- 42 Themes with Photoshop Files
- 11 Plugins + 25 Builder addons + 5 PTB addons
- New themes, addons, One year support & updates
- Lifetime access to 42 Themes with Photoshop files
- 11 Plugins + 25 Builder addons + 5 PTB addons
- Lifetime support & updates
How to Install a Theme in WordPress?
Download Ultra theme from your Themify account. The file comes in a .ZIP extension like this (themify-ultra.zip). But, keep it unzip and place it somewhere easily accessible from WordPress.
- Once you’ve downloaded a copy of Ultra Theme, access “Appearance” menu from your WordPress dashboard.
- In the Appearance menu, select Themes and click on the Add New button.
- You will then find Upload Theme. This enables you to choose the themify-ultra.zip file from your computer.
- Hit on Install Now, after the file is uploaded. Once the installation is complete, activate the theme for your website.
Ultra Theme comes with Themify Ultra, it’s like a small dashboard in WordPress which manages Ultra theme. From there, you can adjust the settings and layout of your website.
The same method applies for other themes that you want to install in WordPress.
In this step, we will customize your website’s structure to make your website stands out and look professional.
Before we start, take a look at those few tips that can be useful for your website
- Colors: Choosing the right colors will make your brand stands out. You don’t need so many colors. Perhaps, you can try neutral colors. Since this is important, take your time to pick the one that you really like.
- Fonts: There are two types of fonts. Serif and Sans serif.
- Serif fonts are ideal for long reading such as blogs etc.
- Sans serif fonts are very common. It’s simple, clean and modern. Easy to read.
- Layouts: Find some websites that you really like to get some inspiration. It’ll help you create a better design.
- Font Size:
- Try to keep your body text size between 16-18px.
- The heading & Sub heading can be of any size. But keep them distinct to each other.
- Keep the text length to a maximum of 90 characters per line for better reading.
- Images: Unsplash provides a wide selection of high-quality images. It’s completely free. Since those images are quite large, you can use fotor, it’s a free online tool to resize and crop images.
- Logo & Favicon: Create your Logo & Favicon in .PNG extension format for a transparent background. So that you can use the logo & favicon on any background color.
1) How to Create a page in WordPress
Let’s go to your WordPress dashboard and look for Pages menu on the left sidebar. On the right of the screen, there’ll be some sample pages, remove all pages permanently. Make sure that the Trash can has been emptied as well.
- Click on Add New button which you can find on the same page or under All Pages menu located on the left side of your screen.
- In the first empty field, you will be asked to Add title. This will be the title of your page (example: Home, Services, About Us etc..). Find Publish located on the right side of that page. Repeat the same step for all pages that you want to create.
2) Create your main navigation menu
Once you’ve created all the site’s pages, you can create the main navigation menu of your website from the WordPress customize page.
Here’re the steps:
- Go to Appearance menu in the dashboard so you can find the Customize option.
- On the customize page, next to “Customizing – Themify Options” on the left, click on the arrow to access Homepage Settings option.
- Set the Homepage displays to “A Static page”.
- For the Homepage option, select Home from the drop-down before clicking on Publish.
- To set up a navigation menu for your website, go to the Menus option. You’ll first need to create a name for the Menu, click on Create New Menu, and type in Top Nav. For the Menu Locations, select Main Navigation to display the navigation menus in the header of each page. Click Next to continue setting up the menu.
- Below the Menu Name, there’ll be Add Items option. On the right, find Pages to expand the list. Then, click on each page to add them to your menu on the left.
3) How to create a drop-down list from the navigation menu?
With the drag & drop feature, you can create a drop-down list so easily.
- Click & hold on the menu that you want to set as a sub-menu. For example, drag “Services” on the right just under “About” and drop. “About” will be the main menu with “Services” as a sub-menu.
- Publish the page.
A drop-down menu helps users navigate through your site easily. It’s ideal if you have many pages to show on your website. You don’t necessarily need to have a drop-down menu if the website will only have 4 main pages. I advise that you plan the structure of each page. Draw it on a piece of paper if that can help you and take your time so that you can create the right design.
4) Change the color of the Header Wrap
Yes, it’s possible to change the color of the header wrap. This can be done through the Customize page easily. Go to Customize page to access Themify Options. From Advanced More Options in Themify Options, expand Header option to select “Header Wrap”. You can use the Background color to change the header wrap color.
If you want to add your Site Logo or change the color of the navigation menu, it can all be done through Advanced More Options.
5) How to change the default layout?
You can change the default layout through the Themify Settings from Themify Ultra menu in the WordPress Dashboard.
Visit the WordPress dashboard. Find Themify Ultra menu to select Themify Settings. In Settings, click on Default Layouts. You can expand the Default Page Layout option to select the type of layout you want.
6) Change the Header Design
To change the Header Design, select Theme Settings in Themify Settings. In Header Design, you can change the way your header will look.
The most common design is the Header Top Bar. It’s a thinner-looking header design that gives you more space on top of each page. This makes it more practical for your user experience. Users don’t need to scroll to see the content of your website. I recommend this design.
There are tons of unique options in Themify Settings that will help you design a complete professional website without any coding.
7) How to add Content to any website?
Adding content to your website is much easier than ever. With the “Turn on Builder” feature, you can use the drag & drop feature to add any content you like to your website.
From the WordPress Dashboard, go to Pages and select the page that you want to work on. Right below the title of each page, click on “Themify Builder” option.
On the right side of each page, you will find a list of modules that you can use for your content like Fancy Heading, Gallery, Image, Plain text, Text and, more. The best part, each module can be customized to your own liking from the Styling option.
Themify Settings and Themify builder is very easy to use, intuitive and simple. It should not take you long to get familiar with it.
Try Ultra Theme, to get the best out of it.
Congratulations! You’ve created your first website.
Hope you enjoyed this guide.
Additional resource that might be helpful
If you need a logo design or willing to engage a freelancer to help you with your website. I recommend fiverr as the best freelancer marketplace. You can find a really good and professional freelancer at an affordable price. But before you commit in to a contract, review their portfolio and recommendation carefully. Make sure that the freelancer is reliable and will deliver your project on time.
Stay connected with My Infinity Source.