How to Create a Website From Scratch
Find out how to create a website from scratch for free without knowing any developing skills. No need to pay an agency anymore. With the right tools in hand, you can create any website like a pro.
Last updated: 01 May 2021
Disclosure: This content is reader-supported, which means if you click on some of our links that we may earn a commission.
Creating a website from scratch is so easy these days.
You probably think that we need some coding skills to create a website. Well, that’s not true! No need to be tech-savvy or a web developer to create your first website. With the right setup and tools, it’ll be like child’s play.
As a matter of fact, what you need is a good internet connection and one or two hours of your time.
In this non-Technical guide, I’ll show you how to create a website quickly in four easy steps.
Sit back and we’ll go through these four easy steps.
Create a Website from Scratch in 4 Steps
Table of Content
- What is a Domain Name?
- What is a Web host?
- The difference between Domain name & Web Host
- How to get a Domain name & Web host?
- How to check a Domain name availability?
- Recommended Web Hosting Services
- Two 100% Free Essential Plugins for WordPress
- Best Drag & Drop WordPress Theme
- Tips for your Web Design
A domain name is the address of a website that we type in the search bar to visit a website, something like this: www.YourSite.com. For MIFYS, that would be www.myinfinitysource.com (also called a URL, a technical word of a domain name).
To register a domain name, you’ll first need a name that’ll represent your brand or the company. Don’t worry if you don’t have a name yet, with a bit of thinking it will come naturally. Take a piece of paper and jot down some names that come to mind. Try to find something short rather than long names until you’ll get one that fits best for your brand.
Remember the name will make your brand memorable, so you’ll want something good and catchy. So, take your time rather than rushing into something that you might regret later.
To publish a website online, you need a web host. The web host stores all the pages and data of the website on a special computer that is called a web server. That doesn’t mean you need to get a webserver at home. As a solution, there are companies called Web Hosting Service Provider that take care of this for you. A web hosting provider lets you rent space on their webserver to store your website so it can be accessible over the internet.
The difference between a domain name and a web host is that the domain name is linked to an IP address (Internet Protocol) that points to a specific computer. When you enter the domain name into a browser, the IP address is located to load the website from the web host.
There are two things for you to know when finding a Domain Name and a Web Host.
Do you want to save some extra bucks? Then you better off getting the domain name separate from the web host plan. Domain.com offers a five-year plan where you can lock the best deal for just $9.99 per year. The only drawback is that you would have to link the domain name to your Web host later. But that’s the least to worry about, it’s simple as eating a piece of cake.
Secondly, you can get a free domain name when signing up for a web host plan with Bluehost. Their basic shared hosting plan is a good choice for beginners. It has everything that you need to create one website for only $2.47 per month, the same price as a cup of cappuccino. You can even lock the price in a long-term plan and forget it for some time. One downside is that the domain name is only free for one year. That means there’ll be a renewal fee after that.
Once you’ve picked a name for the domain, you’ll need to verify if it’s available from the domain registrar. Luckily, you don’t need to walk into an office to do this.
As an example, I will use Domain.com to show you how to do it.
Click on Domain.com, type the name in their search engine, and hit search. From there, you’ll get a full list of options with different domain extensions like (.COM, .Net, ORG), etc.
Domain.com also offers a list of suggestions in case the domain name is already taken. At first, it might get a little frustrating but you can also be lucky on your first try. Try another name if you can’t find something that suits you best.
If you are stuck, go for a walk or talk to a friend or family member, that may help you get more ideas.
No matter what domain name you are choosing, I highly recommend adding the domain Privacy & Protection to hide your personal info. For an extra $8.99 per year, it’s worth the money to hide your data from public records.
After signing up with a web hosting service, the next step is to install a website builder (also known as CMS). There’re many great website builders that you can choose from, but not all are as good as WordPress.
WordPress is the most popular CMS tool among the rest. It’s the leading contender to be more precise. Because of its simplicity, it creates a super user-friendly platform. This CMS (Content Management System) tool offers thousands of free designs including a full list of add-ons to make your website look outstanding and professional.
The good news is that Bluehost comes with WordPress already pre-installed. So, the dirty job is already tackled by Bluehost upon the completion of signing up for your account.
In case you are choosing something different than Bluehost, make sure they provide a CMS tool already pre-installed. Most Web hosting services offer such privilege but something to keep an eye on before you commit to a package plan. It’s worth checking.
Since I prefer Bluehost from all web hosting services, I’d like to show you how easy it is to set up WordPress with Bluehost in less than one minute.
Set up WordPress with Bluehost
Bluehost has made it so easy to have a WordPress site setup with one click of a button.
- First, let’s go to your Bluehost account.
- On the login page, make sure that you’ve selected Hosting Login on top of the page before typing in your login details. Once you’re in, you’ll find My Sites tab on the left just below Home icon. Click on Create Site on the right side of that page. Don’t get too excited yet, you’re only setting up your WordPress site, not your actual website.
- Next, you’ll be asked to enter the Site Name and Site Tagline. A Site Name refers to a title that appears across the top of every page of the website. While the Site Tagline is a short sentence that comes underneath the title. Think of something that is short and catchy. If you are not sure, you can add something that comes to mind for now. You can change the title and tagline that fit best for your website later. Let’s click on Next.
- In that window, there’ll be a drop-down list under Domain. Find the domain name that you’ve registered when signing up with Bluehost. As for the recommended plugins, you can skip these and get your own plugin at a later stage.
Bluehost will quickly set up WordPress for you.
Once the installation is complete, Bluehost creates a summary with the installation details. The summary has the Website name that you’ve added and the Username & Password. A copy of that summary is sent to your email as well. I recommend that you save it somewhere safe as you might need it later.
Now that you’ve got WordPress Site set up, log in to WordPress so I can show you how to install some plugins.
How to Install a Plugin in WordPress Site
A plugin is a software add-on that is installed on a WordPress site to enhance its capabilities or extend its functionality. This tool makes it easier for us to add features to our website without any coding.
There are thousands of free WordPress plugins available from their official plugin directory. The free ones don’t usually offer direct technical support, so you want to be careful before installing any free plugin on your site.
To help you out, there are three criteria that I usually pay attention to. I usually check when the plugin was last updated. Secondly, I make sure that it is compatible with my version of WordPress. Thirdly, I spend time checking the rating & reviews from the More Details option of the plugin.
Installing a plugin on WordPress is similar to installing an app on your smartphone or iPhone. It can be done in few clicks without you knowing that it’s done.
Here’re the steps to get started:
- On your WordPress dashboard, find Plugins option located on the left side of your screen.
- Click on Add New from the list of three options under Plugins.
- On the right next to Keyword, type in “Contact Form 7” and find the plugin Contact Form 7 from the list below.
- Click on Install Now. This process will take a few seconds to complete. Once the plugin has been successfully installed, click on Activate.
- There’s NO 5.
Your plugin is now installed and activated.
- Yoast SEO – This tool is my favorite. Yoast SEO is a cost-effective, very simple, and intuitive plugin to help you improve your website’s SEO. No need to hire an SEO expert anymore which can cost you a fortune sometimes. Get this plugin for your website, I highly recommend it. It has a free version and a premium plan. Try the free version and you can upgrade with time.
- UpdraftPlus – Always back up your work for extra protection against any sort of unexpected disaster. UpdraftPlus is a free plugin to back up your website. You can restore from a good backup quickly in case of any incident. Get this plugin, it’s free and I highly recommend it.
How about the WordPress Theme?
WordPress Theme is a tool to change the overall look of a website which includes the color scheme, layout, and style. Themes customize the appearance to make your website look professional and stunning. In essence, you must choose the right theme from the beginning.
When you first created your WordPress Site, WordPress installs the default theme which is not so attractive. But this is the least to worry about, as WordPress offers a huge selection of free and premium themes for you to create a design and professional website. Take your time to browse through those options before making any decision.
To save you some time, I recommend Ultra Theme by Themify. Ultra Theme is one of the most powerful & flexible WordPress themes, making it easy to create any responsive site quickly without any coding required. With Ultra Theme, you take full control of your design from header to footer.
In the next step, I’ll show you how to install a Theme in WordPress.
The default WordPress theme doesn’t have much customize ability to create the stunning website that we want.
Before installing a WordPress theme, you need to keep in mind that it will change the looks and functions of your website. But, in our case we are installing a WordPress theme on a new site, so we are good to go.
There’re two easy ways to install a WordPress theme. You can either search for the theme directly from the WordPress Theme dashboard or upload a third-party theme in one click.
The Ultra theme created by Themify is what you need. This theme is very easy to use and simple. It’s designed to create any website you like without engaging an agency or a freelancer. At the same time, it allows you to take full control of your design from header to footer.
For all its abilities and features, it comes at a price of $59 per year or Lifetime Access $249 one-time payment. Much cheaper than paying an agency or a freelancer. The standard package includes the Ultra Theme, 12 builder add-ons & one-year support, and updates. If you want to save some money, get Ultra theme by Themify.
Themify also offers a wide range of themes, feel free to look around.
In this guide, I am going to use Ultra Theme by Themify to show you how to create a responsive website using its drag & drop builder without any coding.
How do I get Ultra Theme?
First, visit Themify. From there go to Themes to select All Themes. Ultra theme for WordPress is usually the top theme of their list, click on its More Info button. You can watch a short demo youtube video if you like.
Below the demo video, click on Buy Now and select the type of package that fits best for you. Their standard package is good enough to do the trick.
For security reasons, Themify accepts payment through PayPal. Use your PayPal account to complete the subscription.
Once you are done, let’s install the Ultra theme on your WordPress site.
- 1 Theme – Pick one from a long list of options
- One year support including free updates
- Built-in Builder with Themify
- 42 Themes with Photoshop Files
- 11 Plugins + 25 Builder addons + 5 PTB addons
- New themes, addons, One year support & updates
- Lifetime access to 42 Themes with Photoshop files
- 11 Plugins + 25 Builder addons + 5 PTB addons
- Lifetime support & updates
Step to install Ultra theme in WordPress Site
To install Ultra Theme by Themify on the WordPress site, download Ultra theme from your Themify account. The file comes in a .ZIP extension like this (themify-ultra.zip). But, don’t unzip the file, place it somewhere easily accessible from WordPress.
- Now that you’ve got a downloaded copy of Ultra Theme, let’s go to the WordPress dashboard to find Appearance menu located on the left side of your screen.
- Under the Appearance menu, click on Themes to access the Add New button.
- On Add New page, you will find another button named Upload Theme, this will allow you to choose the themify-ultra.zip file and upload it from your computer.
- After you’ve uploaded the file, proceed with Install Now. WordPress will install the theme in just a few seconds. Once the installation is complete, click on Activate to activate the theme for your website.
Ultra Theme comes with Themify Ultra, it’s like a small dashboard in WordPress which manages Ultra theme. From there, you can adjust the settings and layout of your website. You don’t need to touch any code to add content with Themify Builder.
In general, installing a plugin or a theme on a WordPress site is so easy and straightforward.
In this step, we will customize your website’s structure to make your website stands out and look professional.
Before we start, take a look at those few tips that can be useful for your website
- Colors: Choosing the right colors will make your brand stands out. You don’t need so many colors. Perhaps, you can try neutral colors. Since this is important, take your time to pick the one that you really like.
- Fonts: There are two types of fonts. Serif and Sans serif.
- Serif fonts are ideal for long reading such as blogs etc.
- Sans serif fonts are very common. It’s simple, clean and modern. Easy to read.
- Layouts: Find some websites that you really like to get some inspiration. It’ll help you create a better design.
- Font Size:
- Try to keep your body text size between 16-18px.
- The heading & Sub heading can be of any size. But keep them distinct to each other.
- Keep the text length to a maximum of 90 characters per line for better reading.
- Images: Unsplash provides a wide selection of high-quality images. It’s completely free. Since those images are quite large, you can use fotor, it’s a free online tool to resize and crop images.
- Logo & Favicon: Create your Logo & Favicon in .PNG extension format for a transparent background. So that you can use the logo & favicon on any background color.
1) How to Create a page in WordPress
Let’s go to your WordPress dashboard and look for Pages menu on the left sidebar. On the right of the screen, there’ll be some sample pages, remove all pages permanently. Make sure that the Trash can has been emptied as well.
- Click on Add New button which you can find on the same page or under All Pages menu located on the left side of your screen.
- In the first empty field, you will be asked to Add title. This will be the title of your page (example: Home, Services, About Us etc..). Find Publish located on the right side of that page. Repeat the same step for all pages that you want to create.
2) Create your main navigation menu
Once you’ve created all the site’s pages, you can create the main navigation menu of your website from the WordPress customize page.
Here’re the steps:
- Go to Appearance menu in the dashboard so you can find the Customize option.
- On the customize page, next to “Customizing – Themify Options” on the left, click on the arrow to access Homepage Settings option.
- Set the Homepage displays to “A Static page”.
- For the Homepage option, select Home from the drop-down before clicking on Publish.
- To set up a navigation menu for your website, go to the Menus option. You’ll first need to create a name for the Menu, click on Create New Menu, and type in Top Nav. For the Menu Locations, select Main Navigation to display the navigation menus in the header of each page. Click Next to continue setting up the menu.
- Below the Menu Name, there’ll be Add Items option. On the right, find Pages to expand the list. Then, click on each page to add them to your menu on the left.
3) How to create a drop-down list from the navigation menu?
With the drag & drop feature, you can create a drop-down list so easily.
- Click & hold on the menu that you want to set as a sub-menu. For example, drag “Services” on the right just under “About” and drop. “About” will be the main menu with “Services” as a sub-menu.
- Publish the page.
A drop-down menu helps users navigate through your site easily. It’s ideal if you have many pages to show on your website. You don’t necessarily need to have a drop-down menu if the website will only have 4 main pages. I advise that you plan the structure of each page. Draw it on a piece of paper if that can help you and take your time so that you can create the right design.
4) Change the color of the Header Wrap
Yes, it’s possible to change the color of the header wrap. This can be done through the Customize page easily. Go to Customize page to access Themify Options. From Advanced More Options in Themify Options, expand Header option to select “Header Wrap”. You can use the Background color to change the header wrap color.
If you want to add your Site Logo or change the color of the navigation menu, it can all be done through Advanced More Options.
5) How to change the default layout?
You can change the default layout through the Themify Settings from Themify Ultra menu in the WordPress Dashboard.
Visit the WordPress dashboard. Find Themify Ultra menu to select Themify Settings. In Settings, click on Default Layouts. You can expand the Default Page Layout option to select the type of layout you want.
6) Change the Header Design
To change the Header Design, select Theme Settings in Themify Settings. In Header Design, you can change the way your header will look.
The most common design is the Header Top Bar. It’s a thinner-looking header design that gives you more space on top of each page. This makes it more practical for your user experience. Users don’t need to scroll to see the content of your website. I recommend this design.
There are tons of unique options in Themify Settings that will help you design a complete professional website without any coding.
7) How to add Content to any website?
Adding content to your website is much easier than ever. With the “Turn on Builder” feature, you can use the drag & drop feature to add any content you like to your website.
From the WordPress Dashboard, go to Pages and select the page that you want to work on. Right below the title of each page, click on “Themify Builder” option.
On the right side of each page, you will find a list of modules that you can use for your content like Fancy Heading, Gallery, Image, Plain text, Text and, more. The best part, each module can be customized to your own liking from the Styling option.
Themify Settings and Themify builder is very easy to use, intuitive and simple. It should not take you long to get familiar with it.
Try Ultra Theme, to get the best out of it.
Congratulations! You’ve created your first website.
Hope you enjoyed this guide.
Additional resource that might be helpful
If you need a logo design or willing to engage a freelancer to help you with your website. I recommend fiverr as the best freelancer marketplace. You can find a really good and professional freelancer at an affordable price. But before you commit in to a contract, review their portfolio and recommendation carefully. Make sure that the freelancer is reliable and will deliver your project on time.
Stay connected with My Infinity Source.